REAL Life Drawing: My Eye On Washington DC

REAL Life Drawing: My Eye On Washington DC
Photo- Gessoed Hand of MG Stout holding her favorite paint while prepping paper

Friday, September 24, 2010

NMWA - Art Out on It's Ear?

The National Museum of Women in the Arts wanted to get some of the art out of the museum and onto the streets.  Yahoo!  I say to all of you.  The first sculptures installed have been created by French artist Niki de Saint Phalle.  The works have been described as "whimsical yet monumental" meant to celebrate women, diversity, and love.  I'm not so sure they are successful in that campaign. While the figures are larger than life, their heads are disproportionately small. They are prancing around in some sort of  decorative under garment and seem joyful, but are they?
I wonder about this celebratory cavorting?  I would be pissed if I had to dance around the streets of Washington DC in my delicates.  Even on a good day (when I don't feel like a cow) the idea of rockin' my unmentionables in the middle of NY avenue seems well, dumb.  Are the figures simple minded gyrating gluttons?  Perhaps the artist is using scale and color as a decoy.  Maybe she wants to invite the viewer into a serious discussion about the how the female archetype has evolved since Venus? Has it?
Fertility Goddess Meets Modernity by MG Stout

The New York Avenue Sculpture Project will take five years to complete.  The plan is to install sculptures on NY avenue extending from 13th to 9th streets.  Each median is expected to showcase the works of a variety of artists and will be rotated every one to three years.  It is definite MUST SEE and I can't wait to see the next installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment