REAL Life Drawing: My Eye On Washington DC

REAL Life Drawing: My Eye On Washington DC
Photo- Gessoed Hand of MG Stout holding her favorite paint while prepping paper

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Big and Boring

Star Struck Lincoln, Mixed Media on Canvas, 5ft x 6ft, MG Stout

I hate, HatE, HATE this painting.  Don't get me wrong it has some very interesting elements.  When  broken down into smaller parts it works.  The problem is our eyes do not read it as a sum of interesting parts, but a BIG BORING BUNCH of VERTICALS.
This painting has thwarted me since day one.  It sits at the end of the hallway in building 4 of the Workhouse Arts Center.  I flip it off every time I walk by it.  I am actually getting angry just looking at it in this post.  Expletives are screaming through my head at such a high volume I can hardly focus on what want to say!  
Let me lay it out for ya... I am painting over this lame ass building.  "Don't do it," you implore!  TOUGH! is my reply.  I've given it ample time to grow on me or to find a solution to make it worthy of living to see another day.  When I get into the studio today I'll be tossing paint right in its big stupid toothy face.
GRRRRRRR!

1 comment:

  1. Mary - I'd love to buy your Big and Boring Lincoln Memorial painting. I wonder what you'd let it go for? I'm serious. Contact me with the price.

    ReplyDelete