REAL Life Drawing: My Eye On Washington DC

REAL Life Drawing: My Eye On Washington DC
Photo- Gessoed Hand of MG Stout holding her favorite paint while prepping paper

Monday, March 14, 2011

Sorta Mission Statement

Personal ambition: To visit each major city in the United States and render that imagery onto each city’s newspaper.

Why use newspaper? 

a)  to preserve and safeguard a historically significant document
b)  the material is conversant with the images being depicted 

Newspapers have been the connective tissue keeping communities linked in and informed for ages.  Enter the World Wide Web. It is rapidly shifting how we get our information and changing the physical landscape as well. We are becoming more and more paperless.  Virtual communication is rapidly replacing newspapers and face time with twenty-four hour ticker lines and texts.  YIKES!
These works are a celebration of community and the newspapers that unite them.   

With pastel and charcoal I depict everyday moments, from families touring local monuments to dilapidated buildings.  I have successfully captured moments in our nation’s capitol  with expressive lines and vibrant colors.  The response to this series has been overwhelming.  Of the original 74 pieces included in my book, 36 have been sold and a few are now in the Securities Exchange Commission art collection.   
When  people visit my studio I am always surprised when they ask, “so when are you coming to Chicago… New York…Miami?” Soon, is my response because my gaze is fixed on Philly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment