REAL Life Drawing: My Eye On Washington DC

REAL Life Drawing: My Eye On Washington DC
Photo- Gessoed Hand of MG Stout holding her favorite paint while prepping paper

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Walking for Gavin

  Autism Speaks Now 2010 Walk
I love a family who has a child with autism and I've been wanting to do something to show them how much I care.  So I walked.
 I registered online to be on their team - The Rockets
Here is the nifty sign that our daughters held high for the entire 3.5 mile course.
Erin, Bethann and Megan ready to get their walk on!
This sign is special because it has images of all Gavin's favorite things.  We were surrounded by hundreds of other teams donning their colors and signs.  Boys and girls, young and old walking hand in hand supporting and loving each other.  It was beautiful.  The girls also showed support by having their faces painted.
Megan sports a rocket
Erin rocks a puzzle piece
Then the MC announced that it was just about game time and so...
We were lead in some early morning stretches to get our blood pumping and our muscles loose!
Pre Walk Warm Up teams Orange & Green
Now for the fella of the hour, the man of the moment, the dude of the day 
Introducing....the brilliant, the handsome,
the "rocket man"!
Gavin 
...a marching we will go...marching for love...marching for awareness...marching for him et al!
Beginning the journey
The Rockets stepping toward the Washington Memorial

 Autism is a disease that is found in every income bracket.  It doesn't discriminate.  It has no religion, race or gender.  It is a conundrum that is cropping up at an alarming rate.  It really bothers me how diseases of the mind are more often than not the target of discrimination.  When someone thinks or communicates in a way that we don't understand we get upset and frustrated and think...  What is wrong with them? ...are they stupid or something?... why won't they just listen to me, do what I say and behave?  We are so egocentric!  What makes the way we think normal or right?  If normalcy is based on what is average - then I'm looking to learn from the individuals found in the periphery!  For they are truly exceptional and can teach me about alternative ways of thinking.  I say that we should all invest our time in  seeing the world the through their eyes.  We just might learn a thing or two.

I recently read a book written from the perspective of an autistic boy.  The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night-Time.  Brilliant and insightful it reminded me of one of my favorite books - The Catcher In the Rye.  I highly recommend it and have attached a link which includes a discussion guide.
While I haven't read the discussion guide it might be helpful in starting the conversation?

I can't wait to start the paintings of this amazing experience!


  


No comments:

Post a Comment